Most of our work is commercial: Loveless Porter Architects has helped nationally franchised gyms, restaurants and daycare centers, as well as locally-owned distillers and other entrepreneurs, design spaces that blend function and form. Now, we are sharing a few “pro tips” that homeowners can apply on smaller scale. Because your dream kitchen remodel deserves good planning, too. Happy renovating!
- Choose classic over trendy; what are the design elements that will resonate with you, for the long term?
- Quality flooring is worth every penny; add value through durability and resale potential, not by getting the cheapest product
- Heat pump water heaters can reduce energy costs by up to 50%
- Vaulted ceilings can prevent water damage in winter and make rooms feel larger
- Varied ceiling heights, half-walls, islands, skylights and other architectural elements can be used to define zones while maintaining an open floor plan
- East facing windows maximize sunlight (Building a new home? Consider making solar passive part of the design process)
- Give thought to device and appliance usage, planning for where you will need electrical and USB outlets, proper wiring, etc.
- Work with county/city permitting from the beginning. It is better to be told “no” early on than to retrofit or worse yet, dismantle, your work.